So, this is gonna be a new thing. We’re going to try and somewhat regularly post updates as to what things we’ve been working on or done behind the scenes.
Being this is the first one, I’m going to cover a lot of the more major things over the past few months, as well as mentioning some other projects we have lined up, and projects we’ve had to put on hold.
So, first off: What have we already done?
- Updated to 1.12
- This doesn’t seem very major to most people, but unfortunately this takes an immense amount of work. Our network has 18 servers in it, as well as the proxy server. Each one has to be updated (or setup to allow the newer protocol) and this takes time. A huge part of the problem with updates is sadly that they break things.With the server having been around for over 4 years, we have a range of plugins we use, and some of them are no longer developed. In those cases we have to either find a replacement or if we can’t find one – we then have to fix it ourselves. When we have a dedicated developer this isn’t too bad – but either way it’s a lot of work.
- We overhauled our mod request system, kinda.
- We rebranded.
- We fixed some exploits with WorldEdit on the creative server.
- We (well, I did…) wrote an announcer plugin to replace the individual ones on each server. So now announcements go out to all servers simultaneously.
- The server’s also recently seen a lot of tweaks and updated to the way it shows up in the multiplayer screen. You can now see some detailed information about the number of players on by hovering over the player count. (This was a custom written plugin).
- Theres also little things like Global Join/Leave messages, and the first join message. It’s just nicer for everyone to see.
- The website homepage has been changed, with a new description of the server. We also improved the accuracy and performance of the status widget.
- A lot of the changes to the website recently are with the aim to help improve how we promote the server. Theres been a lot of optimisations made to try and boost our search rankings, and make the site load faster.
- And naturally, theres been plenty of little tweaks and fixes, or restarts because of crashes.
Things we’re currently working on:
- For a while now, we’ve been trying to create a guide to several things on our website. We started this a long time ago (with the rocket editor guide), but it’s not been a high priority.We now have a few completed pages, but we’re not ready to launch the whole thing
Some of the completed guides:
We eventually plan to add several pages to help improve buildings, as well as a library of interior object designs, and guides for most of the plugins we have on the server. We already have a guide to the Rocket Editor (VIP Perk). If theres something you think would be useful to have in this set of pages, please do post a suggestion on our forums
- Replacing the shop plugin.
1.12.1 broke ChestShop, so we’ve been trying to get an alternative working. We’ve been testing a few different options and think we’ve settled on one now. Just checking that theres no unexpected problems with it before we put it live on the server.
- A new server. Yeah, we don’t want to announce this one officially yet. We’re really not far off from finishing it though.
We have a few other minigame ideas that we plan to eventually make a reality, along with some additional servers. We’ll announce these when we’re ready.
Projects on hold
Sadly, there are some things we’ve put a fair amount of time into that we’ve been unable to finish for various reasons. More recently the loss of our developer has meant we’ve had to shift our focus to working on projects which do not require custom plugins.
That about sums it up right now, theres probably the odd thing I missed.